11.02.2011

A Re-Commitment to Writing

We've all heard (or read) it before... After long periods of hiatus, blogwriters casually excuse themselves for not keeping up with their writing. Somewhere along the line, life gets in the way of this expression. Depending on how high up the priority list blog-writing is, the more dire the circumstances would be to pull the writer away from their blog. We all have our reasons excuses not to write, but life's events should offer all the more impetus to write.

If you're a follower of this blog, you would already know that I, too am guilty of letting a bit of dust get on the Goldspot Pens Blog lately. I won't offer any explanations, but I will say that this is still an important venue for us to connect with our customers and prospects. We simply tried the best we could to keep up with it, given the resources and manpower. In the end, it comes down to, "Should I answer that customer's important e-mail about their next-day engraving order or should I write a new review for the blog." Our customers depend on our customer service above all, so the blog is given a lower priority for when there is free time.

However, there is never any "free time." It is simply an illusion. An oasis in a sea of desert. And if there was any shimmer of hope in that grey lining, the Black Friday cloud comes rolling in and the craziness of the Holidays consumes every last tick & tok. As I've openly moaned to several friends and family in regards to possibly doing NaNoWriMo this year, "Who has the time?" Like I can suddenly afford to shirk my duties as Dad, attending social commitments, Birthdays and the like, all to write some junky first draft of a novel for my own self-indulgence?

No, ultimately I decided that it doesn't need to be that extreme for me to get back into writing. However, I did want to re-commit to regularly writing here on the blog, even if that means the sacrifice of an hour of sleep here or there. I would encourage all of you writers that may be facing the same issue to let go of the excuses and just write for the sake of it. Make the sacrifice to keep up with it. I'm right there with you.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't have said it any better.  I, too, am struggling with my writing, even though I love doing it.  Some strange block is in the way.  In the meantime, I keep my pens flowing and the opportunities open by practicing my handwriting.  At least nothing's gathering dust.  There's no chance for writing to be completely pushed aside while I'm at my desk and using my pens, ink, and paper for something.  This time last year my pens were all stored away and almost forgotten.  Now I have a few new pens, two dozen new bottles of ink, some paper that will actually hold up to a fountain pen, and I'm using them on a daily basis.  Even if it's not for journaling, I think that's progress.  I'm getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is highly informatics, crisp and
    clear. Here everything has been described in systematic manner so that reader
    could get maximum information and learn many things. This is one of the best
    blogs I have read.  

    ReplyDelete